Diabetes is a serious condition, it occurs when the body produces insufficient amounts of insulin, Sweet potato is one of the healthiest food and a rich source of vitamins B6, A & C and They’re also an excellent sources of iron and potassium. Sweet potatoes are a good food choice for diabetic patients and that contains a low glycemic index. The purple and the orange sweet potatoes are high in peonidins and cyanidins, And recommended by doctors for diabetics to help control glucose levels.
In 1992, the Center for Science in the Public Interest compared the values of nutrititive of sweet potatoes with other vegetables. Fiber content, carbohydrates, protein, vitamin A, B and C, iron and calcium, the sweet potato was ranked the most consistent vegetable. Many studies suggest they also prevent blood clots and breast cancer cell proliferation.
The objective of the study conducted by Wilmer Barrera and David Picha from Louisiana State University and published in the journal Hort Science, focused particularly on the determination of vitamin C, thiamine, riboflavin and vitamin B6 in all varieties of potatoes. The scientists analyzed a variety of sweet potato tissue types (mature leaves, young leaves, young petioles, buds, vine sections, and root tissue) According to the results, young leaves contain the highest amount of vitamin C, followed by mature leaves and buds. Also, the buds contain large amounts of this vitamin C.
Sweet Potatoes for Diabetes Treatment
Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and vitamins A and C. And it contains high Carbohydrate Content, Boiled or mashed sweet potatoes, for example, not recommended because they are digested more quickly, thus increasing their glycemic index and possibly increasing blood sugar levels. Similar to fiber, fat slows digestion rate and therefore maintain a low glycemic index. Sweet potatoes to stay healthier with their condition.
Here are Some Benefits of Sweet Potato
- Strengthen immunity;
- Treat the inflammation because it contains beta-carotene, vitamin C and magnesium;
- Being effective in treating congested nose, bronchi and lungs;
- Sweet potatoes curing Bronchitis because the concentration of vitamin C, iron and other nutrients;
- Helps digestion;
- It has a soothing effect on the stomach and intestines. Vitamins B and C of the composition, as well as beta-carotene, calcium and potassium are very helpful in treating stomach ulcers.
- It prevents constipation and ulcers, reduce pain and inflammation;
- The fiber in sweet potatoes helps retain water, thereby maintaining a balanced water level in the body.